SVG graphics in Microsoft Word

So you’re using Microsoft Word, and you’d like to take advantage of SVG graphics. SVG stands for Scalable Vector Graphics. They’ve got a really neat property. You know when you re-size graphics in Word, the graphics quality degrades as you enlarge them. Well, SVG graphics don’t degrade when enlarged (doesn’t apply to photo images :( ). So how do you get these great graphics into MS Word? Well, you can’t import it or open it directly, Word doesn’t recognize any file with an SVG extension. The way around this is to use the clipboard. To do this, you’ll need to have an application that uses SVG formats. A great free application that uses SVG formats is Inkscape. Once you’ve drawn what you want, select the graphic and copy it to the clipboard by either right clicking on it and selecting copy, or by typing ctrl-c. Then open a MS Word Document and paste the graphic. It’s that easy. I’ve pasted an SVG graphic below so you can check it out by resizing the graphic for yourself in Microsoft Word.

Super Maco in Microsoft Word

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “SVG graphics in Microsoft Word”

1. admin says:

Well, normally if I want to edit the document, and I’ve misplaced the original, I just copy it from the Word Document and then paste it back into Inkscape. I don’t know of anything that will let you interactively edit an SVG within Word.

2. Chris says:

I tried your method for a logo that I made up, but the everything came out fuzzy/jagged. Any ideas on why this happened?

3. admin says:

Hi Chris,
    Not sure what happened with your logo. Did you save your SVG as a PNG ?, because that could cause jaggies. Also if you use the blur or transparent features in Inkscape, that could cause problems as well.

4. Ted says:

This didnt work. I’m getting blurred images.

5. admin says:

Hi Ted,
    Could you give a little bit more detail how you copied the graphics?
    Did you download the example document, and it is still blurred?

6. Ron says:

I downloaded the file and it accidentally opened in Word 2003. The scaling appeared to still work. No matter how much I stretched or zoomed, the edges looked good.

Same when I opened it in 2010…

So, I’m getting unexpectedly good results!

This is on Win 8.

7. Schplook says:

This works perfectly.

And, you can even edit the image after importing it.

I was able to drag, resize, change colours, and change line and fill.

The down side is that effects (blur, transparency, gradients) don’t work at all.

Works fine for very simple images (icons, cartoons, etc.) though.